Relationships are built on trust. Every organization today, is focusing on building the employer brand. But do organization have “ Trust ” as key dimension to their employer brand.
Simply putting, do we trust our employees and most importantly, do employees trust organization. And can a brand establish itself, if there is lack of trust? Let’s look at examples across employee life cycle.
Lack of trust starts at hiring
- Employer believes, the information given by candidate is not right.
- For employee – moment of truth happens post joining – “I was not told about this at the time of hiring.”
Trust starts diminishing in first 30 days …
Big Corporate Black box
- The clichéd, we cannot share this info with employees (Even if the world knows about it) . An India IT company was about to be taken over by a giant, and for over 6 months, everyone “knew” about it .. just before the acquisition CEO writes a mail .. Focus on work … nothing is happening. ET publishes the story next day and announces… there goes the trust ..
- Blame it on HR, the best thing business can do – Line manager promises increment, but HR did not give (lack of trust)
- Restrict info access, because employees will share info with competition and market.
- And to top it all the governance committees etc.
All this adds up to one thing,
- Organization – Dear employee I don’t trust you.
- Employee – I don’t trust you either!
So, what’s the solution?
We talk about building transparency at work; need to walk the talk, and build a culture of trust and commitment. It starts from the top.
All we need to do is, say right and stay committed to what we say.
“Build trust” and you’ll be the best employer
Well is it that simple?